About Milford, NJ
Milford, New Jersey
Milford is a borough located in western Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough’s population was 1,233, reflecting an increase of 38 (+3.2%) from the 1,195 counted in the 2000 Census, which had, in turn, declined by 78 (-6.1%) from the 1,273 counted in the 1990 Census.
Milford was incorporated as a borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 15, 1911, from portions of Holland Township, based on the results of a referendum held on May 8, 1911. The borough’s incorporation was confirmed on March 13, 1925.
The borough is located on the Delaware River in the western portion of Hunterdon County, known as the Hunterdon Plateau. The Borough dates to the mid-18th century when a grist mill was established here. After the mill was destroyed by fire in 1769, the settlement became known as Burnt Mills. The area was renamed as “Lowreytown” after Thomas Lowrey purchased land in the area in 1796. The community became commonly known as “Millford” or “Millsford” by the beginning of the 19th century, but by 1844 the name had lost a letter or two. It was incorporated in 1911 but the official incorporation was not registered until 1925.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough had a total area of 1.226 square miles (3.175 km), including 1.149 square miles (2.975 km) of land and 0.077 square miles (0.200 km) of water (6.31%).
Milford borders Alexandria Township and Holland Township. Milford also borders the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and is connected to Upper Black Eddy, Bridgeton Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania by the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission‘s free Upper Black Eddy-Milford Bridge over the Delaware River.
At the 2010 United States Census, there were 1,233 people, 520 households, and 331.2 families residing in the borough. The population density was 1,073.4 per square mile (414.4/km). There were 552 housing units at an average density of 480.5 per square mile (185.5/km). The racial makeup of the borough was 97.32% (1,200) White, 0.24% (3) Black or African American, 0.16% (2) Native American, 0.97% (12) Asian, 0.08% (1) Pacific Islander, 0.24% (3) from other races, and 0.97% (12) from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 2.19% (27) of the population.
There were 520 households, of which 26.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.7% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.3% were non-families. 28.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 12.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the borough, 20.6% of the population were under the age of 18, 6.4% from 18 to 24, 24.2% from 25 to 44, 32.8% from 45 to 64, and 16.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44.1 years. For every 100 females there were 95.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.0 males.
The Census Bureau’s 2006-2010 American Community Survey showed that (in 2010 inflation-adjusted dollars) median household income was $75,948 (with a margin of error of +/- $6,902) and the median family income was $79,653 (+/- $5,673). Males had a median income of $52,679 (+/- $12,062) versus $42,778 (+/- $8,377) for females. The per capita income for the borough was $32,823 (+/- $2,774). About 0.9% of families and 2.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 0.0% of those under age 18 and 6.6% of those age 65 or over.
As of May 2010, the borough had a total of 10.34 miles (16.64 km) of roadways, of which 7.86 miles (12.65 km) were maintained by the municipality and 2.48 miles (3.99 km) by Hunterdon County.
The Upper Black Eddy – Milford Bridge, owned and operated by the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission carries Bridge Street across the Delaware River, connecting CR 519 in Milford with Pennsylvania Route 32 in Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania. The existing bridge was constructed in 1933 on the site of a covered bridge built in 1842 and another partially destroyed in a 1903 flood. The bridge is a Warren truss that extends 700 feet (210 m) across the river.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with Milford include:
- Louis Adamic (1899–1951), Slovene-American author and translator.
- Carlton Cooley (1898-1981), violist and composer.
- Elias Deemer (1838-1918) member of the United States House of Representatives from Pennsylvania from 1901 to 1907.
- Richard Egielski (born 1952), awarded the 1987 Caldecott Medal for his illustrations in the book Hey, Al, written by Arthur Yorinks.
- Wanda Gág (1893–1946), artist and author of children’s books (Millions of Cats).
- Thomas Lowrey (1737-1809), settled in Milford in the 1790s and built the first hotel and grist mill on Bridge Street. He named the town Lowreytown, but it was renamed Millsford following his death in 1809.
- George C. Ludlow, 25th Governor of New Jersey.
- Abigail Roberts (1791-1841), pioneer in religion and women’s rights who was one of the first American women to serve as a minister and established the United Church in Milford.